Saturday, September 18, 2004

Homelanding

Maggie Lumsden
Homelanding, by Margaret Atwood, was an article of how a human on earth described to another planet our daily life and physical being. Atwood dissected daily life by first describing our physical structure by comparing it to other organisms on earth. “On the top of my head, but not on the front, there is an odd growth, like a species of seaweed.” (pg.1). Then, she went on to describe how men (prong) and women (cavern) do not always interact peacefully with each other. Atwood began to describe the seasons, winter, summer, fall, and spring, by describe in detail how the earth changes physically from season to season. The author goes on to describe funerals and how if the dead body were whole they would be dressed in “becoming clothes” and buried under ground. When I had started reading this article I had not noticed till the middle of the second page that the author was describing human life and not the life of some other planet. I thought it was very odd that it took me a while to notice that she was describing my physical being and my daily life because I experience it everyday. The way Atwood dissected daily life made me think of how odd our world must be from a visitor’s perspective. I had not noticed until the author had written about our funerals, that it was sort of weird and creepy that we dress up our dead and make them look like they were alive and sleeping before we lower them into the ground. The author wisely ends the article by saying that if she was to visit someone else’s planet then she would not want to meet their leader but to observe and experience their daily lives.
I believe that this article should not be put under the category of science fiction, but under scientific analysis. Homelanding should be categorized as a scientific analysis because she is taking the world and our daily lives as a whole and separating them into individual parts of study. I thought Atwood’s dissection of human life was very interesting and would like to read more of her work.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home